DCSNZ Breed Standard
- To encourage improvement in the quality of Dexter Cattle herds.
- To encourage the preservation of the natural characteristics and traits in Dexter cattle.
- Wholly black, red or dun are of equal merit.
- A small amount of white is acceptable providing it reaches no further forward than the navel on the underline of females and is restricted to the testicular area of males.
- A small amount of white is acceptable on the tip of the tail.
Skin & Hair
- The skin should be loose and pliable.
- Hair short and sleek in summer, longer and thicker in winter.
- The Dexter is a dual purpose breed with both beef and dairy qualities.
Head and Horns
- Short, broad head tapering gracefully towards a broad muzzle.
- Jaw should be wide enough to accommodate well placed teeth with an even bite.
- Eyes bright and prominent.
- Horns should be moderately thick with an inward, upward curve.
- Animals may be polled or dehorned and shall not be penalized in the show ring.
- Deep and thick, but not too short, blending well into the shoulders.
- Ample chest with well-sprung ribs giving plenty of room for the heart and lungs, wide across the loins.
- Quarters thick and deep, broad full hips, well-rounded rump.
- A straight topline with tail set level with spine.
- Good width between both front and back legs.
- Legs should be of moderate length in proportion to body size, squarely placed under the body, wide apart and perpendicular when viewed from the rear.
- Feet should be well formed but can be proportionately broader or larger than in other breeds, with toes that may also point slightly inwards.
- Udder should be well attached with high and wide rear attachment and a strong suspensory ligament.
- The four teats should be of medium size and well spaced on the udder, hanging plumb and of equal length.
- All four quarters should be of equal size.
- Large well hung testicles of even size.
- Four well defined teats evenly spaced.
- Cows: The preferred height is between 96 cm and 108 cm at the rump.
- Bulls: The preferred height is between 100 cm and 114 cm at the rump.